I cannot tell you how any times I have said it. It’s not as easy as it looks. We have all seen the articles which make it sound so easy. The magic number seems to be 10 minutes and there is a lot of talk trying to convince you that it is easy and doesn’t consume much time out of your day.
“Social Media in 10 Minutes”
“How to do Social Media in 10-Minutes Per Day”
“How to Monitor Social Media in 10 Minutes a Day”
“7 Hacks to Dominate Social Media in 10 Minutes a Day”
“How to manage social media in just 10 minutes a day”
But really, social media marketing is an important initiative for many reasons. Its importance is why time and effort should be dedicated to it. It is one very important piece of the full marketing puzzle. The right person (probably not the summer intern to “give them something to do”) with the right skills should be in place to deliver great content. Social media professionals hone many skills as they get more and more involved in managing the social media function of their marketing. These are just some of the skills:
- SEO – Social media helps you to broadcast your content, which helps you get more traffic to your website. When your content gets indexed, your website will be rewarded with organic traffic.
- Customer Service – Have you seen the numbers which show how many people use social media when they need customer service assistance? It’s a high number at 67%. Being good at customer service on social is often a differentiator for successful companies.
- Writing – Social media marketing requires effective writing that captures the attention of your audience. Whether it is a visually-based social account, or a content-based social account, how can you best make an impression and be memorable to the audience?
- Photography – A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. Again, captivating people with the right images, good-quality images, and images that grab attention is an important part of the whole social media bundle. A picture should match the quality of your brand and it does take an effort of time to pick the right images.
- Design – Posts that are accompanied by images are viewed more than posts with no images. It’s important to make it a well-designed, quality image and this is where you design skills come in. Your brand must deliver quality and quality posts lead to additional traffic to your site.
- Video – Video has become such an important part of marketing. YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine and 5 billion videos are watched daily. All kinds of videos can be used, even those that are shot with inexpensive equipment. Social media is a perfect way to distribute your videos.
Make it part of your marketing mix. Plan it. Figure out how it can complement your other marketing activities. Put resources and efforts towards this initiative. Take the care to learn it and get the most out of your efforts.
Here are a few articles related to the topic:
5 Reasons Why Social Media Marketing Is Important